Thursday, February 25, 2016

Advocacy of Your Body





This week alone, I've discovered that five of my fellow gym gal pals are also hypothyroidic. A fact that's gone unknown for a number of years. I'm not totally surprised, it's not something that's spoken of until a fellow sufferer owns his or her condition. The crux of each conversation I had with these ladies is that none of them knew anything about helpful or hindering foods and/or supplements. Perhaps even more telling is that they all asked if I am hyperthroidic because I'm able to keep my body fit and high functioning. **One even went so far as to question what level of medication I'm on and was highly surprised when I said 88mcg, expecting a cute 25mcg I'm sure ;)** I am always happy to pass along everything that's worked for me- I mean, hence this blog. Comparing the two photos above, same medications from my doc but a different level of research on my part into what I could be doing differently. But I urge everyone, regardless of condition to be your own best advocate. Each of these women sees an endocrinologist and are taking the proper RX for their bodies, but none of them had any other info on the subject, and there's SO much out there!!! Again, I in no way am calling out these women, if anything, their doctors should feel more responsible for the general health of their patients. But what I do want to encourage you to do is go online, look up your diagnosis, do your own research on the subject. Don't expect your doctor to bring any of it up, ask them, do all the sleuthing for both of you. Make sure to consult them about it before making drastic changes. There may be things they are VERY against, but there are things that they may encourage you to do. It's well documented that cruciferous vegetables are goitrogens and not the best for hypothyroidism, but your doctor probably won't mention it without prompt. They're thinking about making sure you have your correct RX, reading your blood work... getting all to all their patients in the time allotted ;) Mine didn't talk to me about it until I brought it up with her, and none of my gym friends had even heard about the issue. Let your desire to feel like the best possible version of yourself drive your fingers and your curiosity to find information that could make a great deal of difference to how you function every day. Make sure you read all the info on your medication bottle!!!! (My pals all knew to wait an hour before eating, but surprisingly 3 of the 5 did NOT know to wait 4 hours before consuming anything with large amounts of iron.) Your body is a machine with no owners manual. Write your own as you live your life. The care and keeping of me. It's a pretty great read. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment