Tuesday, July 9, 2013

And a Fun One!

Makeup Tutorial


Who am I kidding???  All my blog posts are fun ones! But let's get to the point. I decided to do an application and photo shoot, which I hope to be the first of many. Some of these posts may be more instructional than others (how to do a "cat-eye" "smokey-eye" "pouty lip" etc.) This one, weeeeeellll,  it might not be as helpful for that big event you've got coming up, but it's a lot of fun. My first real teacher, guru, in this field was the great Kevyn Aucoin, who didn't believe in rules, or that one needed a reason to play with makeup. It's in that spirit that I decided to just dive in and play. 
A combination of too much Game of Thrones, The Vikings, and Summer Solstice have had me thinking about early female warriors. A recent trip to Judy Chicago's The Dinner Party, (it's permanently on display at the Brooklyn Museum,) reminded me again of Greek Amazons, and the great matriarchies of the indigenous peoples of this country. I wanted to create a look that acknowledged that strength, those traditions, while playing with very modern techniques, and colors. A modern warrior of the recession, of equal rights, of acceptance. Another NYC Amazon fighting against ignorance and fear, and scavenging at Trader Joe's ;) What's funny to me is how much this look ended up looking so Bowie. I  really can't help but be drawn to 80's glam & punk. It's forever tattooed onto my Limbic Lobe.... It interestingly really plays into the marriage of the two concepts of ancient and urban modernity. Ok the application.

1. Starting with a CLEAN and moisturized face, primer was applied to the T-zone of the nose, forehead, and chin. I use Too Faced
2. Then yellow based concealor was brushed under my eyes and into the inner corners and blended with a sponge. I use Ben Nye. I own the large concealor palette but the make a wheel that has both of the products I used on it.
3. Green based concealor was brushed onto any and all reddish discolorations, (blemishes, nose corners, scars,) and blended with a sponge See link to wheel above.
4. Cream foundation was brushed onto the face and blended with a sponge. For the photo shoot I used Ben Nye HD matte foundation though for street application I would choose Makeup Forever HD liquid foundation (see my liquid foundation post.) 

5. Next creme shadow was painted onto cheek hollows, under jawline, along hairline, in temples, eye crease, sides of nose, and just under nose and blended with a sponge. 
6. Creme highlight was painted onto cheek bones, on jaw, bridge of nose, just above temples, brow bone, and just above lashes and blended with a sponge.    7. Translucent powder was used to set makeup.        * these steps are more because I'm going to be photographed. If you like this look and want to wear it dancing or on halloween, you probably won't need to up your bone structure, but it's necessary any time bright lights or a flash bulb get involved...
8.  Mineral powder blush is brushed onto the apples of the cheeks, the bridge of the nose, the chin, and forehead. (everywhere you might get a slight burn from sitting in the sun.)                       9. Mineral powder bronzer is brushed onto the forehead and eyelids.                                         10. Shimmer White eyeshadow is brushed into the inner corners of the eyes. Light champagne (in Satin) shadow is brushed onto the brow bone.
11. Taking a plain piece of paper I ripped it with my hands and created a very uneven edge. I placed it diagonally over my face making sure to bisect one of my eyes. I bobby pinned into my hair to keep the paper in place. I then airbrushed black matte liquid body paint all along the edge of the paper and down a couple inches making sure to cover evenly and to create a soft bottom edge.
12. Removing the paper a crisp edge is achieved on the top. With a brush I extended the line down and outward across my face. (can't see this in these, better seen in photo shoot.) Then using a black matte powder shadow (black lace) I got in close to my eyes to fill in around the lash lines and corners. I then took electric shimmer  blue, green, and violet  (pool party, picnic in the park, and midnight kiss, respectively) and layered them over the black, imitating the surface of a raven or crow's feathers.  
13. Copper Shimmer shadow (bullion) was blended into the bottom of the black shadow, then copper sparkles were brushed on top.
14. The eye's were lined in black, but in bright yellow on the bottom water line (white, cream, yellow all create the optical illusion of bigger eyes.) Black mascara was applied, then demi lashes (flutter), and a final coat of mascara.


15. The last steps my battery died for so you can refer to the photo shoot pics. Nude liner was drawn onto the lip and blended in. A caramel gloss (maple syrup) was applied to the entire lip and blood red gloss  (cherry red) just to the inner creases of the mouth. 
16. My hair I wet and put every product I could find into it and blow dried upwards. I felt this look would needed a dirty crazy hairdo ;)

PHEW ok, onto the photos! *All photos Copyright Emma Hollister-Colby. Please leave these on this blog. This is our art and our living, please don't lift them.



click on any of the thumbs to see them full size album style. If you LURVE the photos and you're itching to have some just like them, you should DEFINITELY check out http://www.coroflot.com/emmahollistercolby. An incredibly talented artist who will hopefully help me out in the future. 
 longest post ever. goooood night.


BKBTY

No comments:

Post a Comment