Saturday, July 6, 2013

To Market, To Market...

The Bounty of the Season <3


It's that time of year! The time when Farmer's Markets state wide over flow with produce! --My own being no exception. I seriously love the cornucopia of bounty, so plentiful, that the "try one!" signs start popping up. They were stuck into the cherries and peaches this week, like sirens singing to me, so I crashed my ship into market and bought 4 peaches and a bag full of cherries, (two different varieties,) $5. Then onto lettuces: purslane, baby kale, pea shoots, sunflower shoots, spring mixes, multiple basils, all in mixable bins, all $4 per 1/4lb. I bought a bag full and paid $3. With prices like this for local produce, direct from farmers or from farm cooperatives, many of them who don't use the levels of sprays and chemical fertilizers (if they use any, depending on the farm) grocery store produce does, how could one want anything else?? I'll be going upstate next week for the wedding I'm in, and then on  to Southern Ontario for a bit. The farmer's market there is serious business, taking over a large municipal parking lot and has everything! Produce, cheese, tee shirts, spices, meats, flowers (cut and plantable,) kettle corn, baked goods, hot food. I'm stoked  it's not quite the institution that the Ithaca Farmer's Market is, but it's pretty awesome. Anyway my point is, take advantage of this incredible time of year and see what your local market has to offer. The majority of them accept EBT and are quite generous if you ever order a dozen of anything. Enjoy the fruits of their labor, literally! And enjoy summer :)

BKBTY

No comments:

Post a Comment