Friday, July 5, 2013

Recipe: Guacamole!

Party Startin' Guac...




At the awesome and beautiful Fourth of July party I attended there was food-a-plenty! And like all my favorite parties we all pitched in here and there with the prep. (Seriously, one of my all-time fav ways to spend time with those I'm close to, and a great way to get talking with those you don't know as well :) I volunteered to throw together some guac and attempted to follow (from memory) a recipe that I had loved growing up. Upon double checking said recipe this afternoon, it seems I went a little more "off the cuff" shall we say? But it was de-lish and, was eaten quickly (always a positive sign.) So here's how I made it. *

Ingredients:
4 Avocados (ripe but not smushy)
1/2 a Red Onion (chopped/diced, your pref)
1 jalapeno pepper
2 scallions
1 medium sized or two small tomatoes
two limes
Heaping 1/2 cup cilantro (rough chop)
pinch of cayenne
S&P to taste

Directions:
1. Score and scoop one of the avocados (easiest to use the ripest for this if one's more so than the others.) Put into a mixing bowl and mash with fork. 
2. Score and scoop the rest of the avocados into the bowl but leave chunky. No more mashing.
3. chop or dice red onion, scallions, and tomato(s) and add to bowl.
4. Finley chop jalapeno and using this rule of thumb. If you buy HOT salsa use whole pepper. If you buy MEDIUM salsa, remove seeds then chop and add. If you buy MILD salsa, remove seeds, and membrane, then chop and add. 
6. Cut limes in half and squeeze or citrus press 3 out of 4 halves into the bowl, avoiding seeds, but a little pulp is ok. (Now you have half a lime for your drink. See, I'm just looking out for you...)
7. Rough chop cilantro, add.
8. add pinch of cayenne, S & P, Stir.
9. Add any more S or P that you feel it needs. Garnish with cilantro sprig and EAT! 

*We sadly ran out of Jalapeno's yesterday but I do highly recommend putting one in!


BKBTY

No comments:

Post a Comment