Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Veggies!!!!!

Tis the Season to Roast (and Toast!)


I'd like start today with a little shout out to my Grandma, who, if immortal, would be 102! One of my very first beauty and cooking instructors, she taught me everything about egg salad and banana bread, the magic of paprika,  the importance of "putting on your face," filling in your brows, and how to brush out a roller set. To mark this momentous day, every year, many of the ladies in my family buy a nice slice of chocolate cake, (her fav) to accompany our raised glasses! So before I get to the recipes, I just want to recommend my favorite local Brooklyn bakery. Betty Bakery, (on Atlantic Ave. between Bond and Nevins) has, in my opinion the BEST chocolate cake in NYC. And yeah, I've tried a few.... Now there's nothing especially nutritionally redeeming about their recipes per-say. Not low-sugar, or gluten free, fair trade, or organic, but for that once and a while treat, everything they make tastes like it was made from a recipe book circa 1930-1960. Classic, honest, and delicious. They bake up cakes, cookies, BEAUTIFUL marzipan figures, and much more! Next time you're in the area, please check them out. They're open every day but Monday <3

Ok, now to two simple but delicious recipes for fall veggies! There's A LOT of natural flavor and sweetness in fall veggies, so remember to use a light hand while dressing, and let those flavors really shine through. 
The first is for buttercup squash. At least, that's what I grew up calling it. Sometimes mislabeled as either Kabocha, or Turban (turk's cap) which are two slightly different varieties. Anyway, whatever you call it, it is the beautiful queen of fall squashes. If you thought butternut squash was the winner, I must inform you, it isn't. Dark green, and not nearly as "pretty" as an acorn or butternut, what it lacks in appearance, it more than makes up for with rich, creamy, sweet flavor. To cook a buttercup squash couldn't be easier, honestly. I had childishly assumed that everyone knew the secret of these lovelies, but I can't tell you how many times I've been asked by fellow shoppers what variety I'm buying, and how to eat it. So here tis!
Buttercup Squash
Ingredients:
1 Squash
1 tbsp lipid of choice
S&P to taste
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425
2. Using veggie wash and a veggie brush, clean the squash of any remaining soil. The skin is both delicious and edible and washing ensures you can enjoy it! snap off stem if you can, it will help. Or get as much as will break off, off.
3. Using a meat fork, or paring knife, or fondue fork, make holes or slits for steam to escape. I make between 5 and 10 depending on the size of the squash.
4. Take a little oil or fat and just LIGHTLY rub the outside of the entirety of the squash, just to prevent drying out. My personal choice is a little ghee mixed with coconut oil. These two are the most stable at high temperatures but as coconut oil has a very low smoke point, adding a bit of ghee prevents any over browning of the skin.
5. Place in a pyrex or casserole, either glass or ceramic. and bake.

How long to cook depends on how large the squash is. It can take anywhere from 45 to an hour and 15. I'd say 1-2lbs 45 min, 3lbs 1 hour, 4lbs 1hr 15. Over that, I can't say as I don't think I've ever found, or bought, one that large! 

Depending on your cooking time, turn over half way through. ex.) 1 hour cooking time, cook for 30 min, flip, cook for another 30. 

6. Ok this part is important and amazing. Turn off the oven and leave the squash in there for another half of the time; so using the above example, another 30 min. This slow cooling makes it the PERFECT consistency and prevents drying. You are left with a moist perfect squash. To serve, simply slice and scoop out seeds, they come out easily. I like to use a little S&P with just a dribble of the same coconut oil/ghee mixture, and that's it. But honestly, you don't even have to do that, there's so much flavor in these guys. 

The second is for sautéing fresh carrots! I used purple and white (light yellow) carrots because they're pretty and they looked so beautiful with the red wine!!!
Sauteed Carrots with a Red Wine Reduction
Ingredients:
1 bunch carrots (6-8 full size), sliced diagonally
1 tsp honey
1 tsp red wine
1/2 tsp ghee or coconut oil
1/3 cup water
a pinch cayenne
1 tsp cumin seeds
a pinch ground cinnamon
a pinch ground ginger
S&P to taste
Directions:
1. Put all in large sauté pan on high, bring liquid to boil.
2. Cook for 5-6 min. I like a little crunch left, rather than total mush. If you need the mush, cook for 8-10 min. (you may need to add extra water in this case)
3. Using a slotted spoon, remove and plate all the carrots, and continue to reduce the liquid until a couple teaspoons remain. 
4. Turn off heat and spoon thickened liquid onto plated carrots (see photo at top of page.)
ENJOY!!!

A last note on these guys. If you think this sounds neat, but out of your budget, I paid $2 for the squash and $2 for the carrots. Yup. A $4 expenditure. That's the beauty of eating in season, and supporting local farmers, it really is economical. 

BKBTY

No comments:

Post a Comment