Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Winter Skin!


Let the Moisture In!!!

Winter is beautiful, but what it can do to your skin gets UGLY!

Yesterday, here in NYC, we had our first morning snow! And while the temperatures will climb back into the bearable range by the weekend, I feel it's time to start talking about winter skin. For me, winter skin is the absolute worst. I mean the heat and sweat of NYC summers is awful, but nothing feels worse than tight, itchy, red, chapped, dry skin. I generally am MORE prone to breakouts in the winter due to overly dry skin, but many also deal with eczema, dandruff, flaky cracked skin on the face/hands/elbows... We all know to moisturize, and this is key, but there are other ways, just as important, and just as helpful, to aid in making the upcoming season one that's less epidermally uncomfortable. 
A Note About Links-
My links tend to be to products that are related to what I'm writing about. If you wish that I'd recommend more brands, I am, the links will take you there :)

1. The air that I breathe.....
Some of you may be lucky enough to have a central home humidity system installed. I envy you if you do. If you're like me, and you spent your life living in homes that do NOT have this luxury, then you have dry heat. Whether it's a furnace or a boiler, doesn't seem to matter, it's all very dry, and the hotter it gets in your home/apt, the dryer the air gets. That's why humidifiers can be your best friends in winter. They don't have to be hundreds of dollars from Hammacher Schlemmer, Target sells perfectly good both cold and warm air humidifiers. Placed near the bed or couch, they can really help a lot. Just be sure to give them a good weekly soak in vinegar to prevent calcium build up from the evaporated water. If you have radiators, either free standing or baseboard style, you can also try a bowl of water placed on top of them. In my current apartment, I have found this system to be a very good fit for my humidifying needs. It also is extremely cost effective and easy to clean, but be sure to only use containers of thick glass, or metal. Let's not melt or burn anything! 

2. From the Inside Out!
It's always a good idea to keep a water bottle handy all day, and to make sure you're rehydrating properly at/after the gym. I can tell you personally this week I can feel the difference during my workouts. My muscles can feel I'm more dehydrated from the weather and the heat in my building, than they have been. Supplement regular water intake with electrolyte water and coconut water on occasion to keep feeling optimal. Also keep up that fruit and veggie intake. We get most of our daily water intake from the foods we eat and in order to balance out the five coffees, two glasses of wine, and that bag of salty pita chips you couldn't stop from eating because it prevented you from bludgeoning your boss while you filed that expense report. (Heh. It happens my friend ;)  Just make sure you're also getting fresh lettuce, apples, carrots, cucumber, soaked chia seeds.... You know, high water content foods. *celery is also high in water, but sugar as well. Not the best choice if you're watching your sugars* 

3. From the Outside In!
Myself, upstate, bundled like a pro <3
Bundle up in the cold! No brainer right?!?!?! I can't tell you how many people give me the look of total confusion and repulsion at my muffled face in winter. But I can't help it, I grew up in Buffalo. WE KNOW WINTER! No, you won't look like you're going to win the most cool kid contest, but you meet up with that "cool kid" in 15 years and then see who looks awesome and who looks like "tan mom." Wind and cold can be just as harsh as too much sun. Keep those fingers and extremities mittened, scarfed, booted, etc! If you have sensitive skin, work with fabrics like silks, cottons, even fleece. But you might want to avoid wools, or other hair based natural fibers as they have a higher likelihood of causing allergy related symptoms like hives, redness, or rashes.

4. In the Kitchen-
Ok this seems simple, but it's impressive how many times I have to remind myself to do it. Think of how frequently your hands get wet in the winter, everyone's sick, you're washing/sanitizing your hands like a fiend, so do your skin a favor and use gloves when you wash the dishes. It really helps. Especially, if like so many apartment dwellers, you don't own a dishwasher and you have to do stuff by hand. Buy a two pack and keep one set at work for after lunch clean up. You'll be impressed by how much it effects your overall hydration levels. 

5. In the Bathroom-
Scale back a little on the exfoliating. It's probably time to go back to only once a week. Those oily skin body washes that may have really felt great in July? Mmmm...tell them you'll see them again in a few short months, and just use a regular body wash or soap. Avoid anything containing alcohol, particularly on your face.  I find witch hazel to be my toner of choice, but diluted apple cider vinegar can also work well. And yes, finally, but most importantly, moisturize. You probably want a separate face one (my current choice) from a body one, and maybe even a special eye one, and hand one. Feet too if you don't need traction. I find my feet get too slippery when I work out if I put moisturizer on them, but if you don't have that issue, some nice coconut butter or coconut oil is great on heels, elbows, and knees. Yeah, the very same that you cook with! Some people even swear by olive oil. Try it out, it's fun, and already in the house! Make sure to incorporate conditioner back into your beauty routine if you shrug it off in summer. Winter hair static is the worst! (If it's chronic, try a product like this or this.) 

6. In the Bedroom-
If you have really badly chapped lips, hands, or heels: Right before bed, try something really strong, like a petroleum jelly, a neosporin, or even hydrocortisone cream. Rub it in and leave it overnight while your body repairs and resets itself. Your skin will thank you.
STAY HYDRATED!

BKBTY

No comments:

Post a Comment