Saturday, June 22, 2013

Review & Rant: I'm a Coco-nut.


So by now if you're not eating it, you've at least heard a lot of the buzz surrounding coconut oil. Allow me to add to that, and say that I personally love this stuff. I started on it due to it's endocrine balancing properties (yeah, it helps with that too) and lowered my triglycerides in the process. My mother was warned her cholesterol was borderline medication levels and in a year of switching to coconut oil, it's down 100 points. I use it in all my heated cooking due to it's medium chain fatty acid stability, unlike olive oil, or canola, whose long chain fatty acids destabilize and oxidize in high heat. It's soooo awesome for dry or damaged skin, hair, and nails. It's also a great massage oil. ---The best part----you can get it for a song at Trader Joe's. I think $5.99 or $6.99 for this veritable panacea. Raw organic butter has many of the same health benefits, and I think for classic baked recipes like pies and cookies, it will have more predictability and thus ultimately be the better option, but for everything else, color me fully converted. I do, as always, recommend the least processed option and I love that TJ's sells an organic, cold pressed, unrefined, product.






BKBTY










No comments:

Post a Comment