Friday, August 30, 2013

Woooo!!! Holiday Weekend!

Weekend Fun :)

Well I hope everyone is stoked for the long weekend! With the approach of September (one of my fav months!) I plan on starting a new knitting project! I can't get out of town this weekend, but I thought I would share (hint hint) what I did last weekend, in the hopes of maybe inspiring some wonderful weekend plans.
A friend of mine, happens to be a member of a unique CSA farm share. Well, unique that I know of. Once a year, they allow any member who wishes, to come camping for the weekend on their farm. To be a part of where all their produce is grown, and to see first hand their practices, improvements, and expansions. My friend's tent had some spare sleeping space, so as long as I provided a dish for the potluck dinner, I was welcome to join in! And boy am I glad I did, it was not only an amazing experience to see a fully functioning 21st century green farm (Biggest solar panels I've ever seen in person. So cool.) But it was great to be able to get some fresh air out of the city and eat some really incredible food.
Breakfast was equally righteous (no really, I'm using that word,) because they had eggs from the coop, and peppers, onions, and tomatoes picked from the field. Could one use fresher ingredients??? There was also a good amount of wildlife, if you enjoy birding. I heard both a courting Eastern Screech Owl (at night) and a Pileated Woodpecker during a walk to see some of their crops. There are many farms that have open hours if you check out your area, they may even be right on Yelp. And fall officially starts the best time to check them out (in my opinion.) Also be sure if you're taking to the road to what else might be going on in the area. Fortuitously the CSA overnight coincided with the Washington County Fair, which we were lucky to be able to check out and enjoy!
Long weekends are a great time to support local agrarians & economies while providing fun for friends and family alike. I hope that maybe these next few days find you and your loved ones on local getaway adventure! **All photos personal property of Emma Hollister-Colby please no lifting.

BKBTY

No comments:

Post a Comment